Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Summery Chicken Tostadas

STAAR testing....selling our house soon....a revolving door of colds cycling through each family member...needless to say, this week has been a doozie. This is the kind of dinner I know that I can throw together in a jiffy, be content that we're eating well, and be totally satisfied because it is de-stinking-licious. I almost always have the ingredients to throw these yummy tostadas together on a week night, so it's a go-to in my kitchen.



Summery Chicken Tostadas
Ingredients:
2-4 whole wheat tortillas
1-2 cups chicken, precooked and either chopped or shredded (I love to use a slow cooker chicken like this one from SkinnyTaste)
1 tspn oil of your choice (I used coconut oil, but EVOO or vegetable oil are other options)
1 zucchini, diced
1 med red onion, diced
1 cup corn kernals (kernals cut off grilled cobs are my fave, but frozen corn works just as well!)
1 tspn cumin
1/2 tspn garlic powder
3-4 tbsp verde salsa (I adore HEB's All Natural Hatch Green Chile Salsa Verde)
1-2 cups chicken, precooked and either chopped or shredded (I love to use a slow cooker chicken like this one from SkinnyTaste)
3/4 cup shredded Monterrey jack cheese
Topping options: chopped cilantro, avocado, HEB's "That Green Sauce", additional salsa verde

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lay tortillas on a foil lined baking sheet (you know I ain't got time to clean baking sheets every time I use 'em!), and lightly spray both sides with cooking spray. Bake in the oven for 8-10 min on each side (or until reach desired crispiness), checking frequently to ensure the edges aren't burning.

While the tortillas are toasting, heat a skillet over medium heat. Add oil to pan. Toss in zucchini and red onion, stirring often. You'll want to saute these two ingredients for 6-8 minutes (or at least until onions are soft. I like the zucchini to have time to get a little browned). Add corn to pan and stir (if using frozen, give a few minutes for the heat to warm the kernals through.). Toss in spices and salsa and stir. Stir chicken into vegetable mixture.

Top each tortilla with approximately a 1/2 cup of the topping mixture (there will be leftovers!). Divide cheese evenly between the tostadas, and return baking sheet to oven just long enough for the cheese to melt.

Serve with desired toppings!

**Note about leftovers: I like to repurpose the leftovers as a "chicken burrito bowl" similar to what you might see at Freebirds or Chipotle. I mix the remaining topping with brown rice or quinoa, add black beans, and a little shredded romaine lettuce for crunch--completely different, totally delicious meal!!

No comments:

Post a Comment