Sunday, April 20, 2014

21 Day Fix Wrap Up ...and easy Tilapia Tacos!

Today marks day 21 of the 21 Day Fix!! I couldn't be more pumped about how I feel, how I look, and how my eating habits have changed. The program not only get your butt in gear, it resets the way you think about portions and food groups. Autumn Calabrese did an amazing job putting together a work out plan that is manageable, and yet still leaves you sweating. The meal guidelines are clear, but flexible enough to accommodate cooking preferences, cravings, and even the occasional glass of wine :)

Things I learned during this process:
1. Meal planning is amazingly helpful in the land of the working mom with a seven month old. It was great to map out what I needed for the week and to grocery shop once a week.
2. Meal prep was crucial--I would grocery shop on Saturday or Sunday and spend Sunday evenings after little went to bed chopping and preparing anything that could be done in advance.
3. Sure, yogurt parfaits are pretty, but I did much better spacing the containers out and having a separate snack from the red container and the purple container.
4. I sure don't need to eat as much as I had been before the 21 Day Fix--it really got my eyes and my stomach on the same page on what is really needed.

I really think I'll continue to think with "containers" in  mind as I plan our meals and pack my snacks and lunch for the day. I'm starting a T25 Challenge group tomorrow and am stoked about continuing my journey towards a healthier and more fit me!!

Shameless plug--T25 Challenge Packs are still on sale!! Order by April 30 to save $90!!!

And the results...we've never had a scale in our home. I'm much more comfortable tracking goals and measuring progress with how I feel and how clothes fit (or don't fit, haha!). And today I got into my favorite jeans!! Haven't been able to squeeze into these since at least October 2012--but I held on to them!! And am dang glad I did!!



And for sticking till the end of this long post, here's a quick recipe to add to your weekly meal plan. Despite a little cheating on my fix this morning at Easter brunch with the family, this was almost 100% 21 Day Fix approved. If you're completing the fix, one serving would equal a red container, 1 yellows, and a green. The El Tiempo green sauce...well, that's negotiable how you'd count that :) We served it with a quinoa, black bean, corn, and pico de gallo salad that would also count as a yellow.



Quick Tilapia Tacos:

Ingredients:
3 tilapia loins
1 tspn cumin
1 tspn chipotle chile powder
1/2 to 1 tspn coconut oil (EVOO or cooking spray could be subbed)
4 corn tortillas, warmed
2 cups coleslaw mix
2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
1 lime
2-3 tbsp El Tiempo Green Sauce (HEB has a sauce called "That Green Sauce" that would work great, too!)

Preparation:
Mix coleslaw, green sauce, juice of 1/2 lime, and cilantro in a small bowl and set aside. Heat skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle tilapia loins with spices on both sides. Add coconut oil to pan. When oil is hot, add fish to pan cook for 3-4 minutes per side till fish flakes easily. Break fish into small pieces, and serve with coleslaw and green sauce on tortillas. Serving size is two tacos. Sliced avocado would have been yummy as a topping also, but ours had sadly gone bad. 

1 comment:

  1. This looks so yummy!! I love fish tacos! Pinning now, lady. And how AWESOME to fit in your fave jeans!!!!! You're beyond adorable...

    ReplyDelete