Monday, May 25, 2015

Hello Fresh Review!

If you've hung out on this blog long enough, you probably have a pretty good idea about how much I love to cook. I love preparing new dishes, I love making old favorites, I love sharing food with family and friends...I even love meal planning! Ha!

A friend recently shared her experience with the company, Hello Fresh, and I was intrigued. I'm not the best a bargain grocery shopping--but I can tell you that the cost of $69 for three meals that serve two people didn't feel like a steal. But...throw in a $40 discount on your first box with ZERO obligation to order another box? That felt just frivolous enough to hook me.

Individually wrapped, perfectly portioned dinners deliver to
to my door step? Yes, please.

Here's the premise: once a week, you log into your account and select three of the meals offered for the next delivery. So far, each week they have had a chicken dish, a pork option, a beef entree, and some sort of seafood to choose from. They deliver it the following week in a ridiculously well insulated box (with like a crazy layer of wool and MULTIPLE ice packs) sometime between 8a-8p. Each week our boxes have actually arrived after 8pm, but weather has been so nuts in Texas the past few weeks that I'm sure UPS is running like mad trying to stay on top of things.

First Hello Fresh meal: Pork al Mojo! Hubby's fave!


Week one we enjoyed:
-Pan-seared Chicken with Tomato-Barley Hash & Charred Broccoli
-Argentine-Spiced Steak with Couscous Salad and Cilantro-Scallion Chimchurri
-Pork al Mojo with Cuban Rice and Beans (hubby's fave of all the meals we've sampled so far!)

Mmmmm...the chimichurri was SO good.

Week two we've sampled:
-Cuban-Style Beef Picadillo
-Old Bay Spiced Salmon and Sweet Potato Cakes with Tomato and Arugula Salad (my fave--but I added some much needed heat with smoked paprika and cayenne)
-Tarragon Chicken and Wheat Berry Salad
***I actually forgot to select me preferred meals for this week, so I was on pins and needles waiting to see what we'd be sent!

As someone who cooks often and tweaks recipes instinctively, I found myself modifying the recipes a bit to adjust to our tastes, but overall each meal was delicious. I loved that we were eating things that while the recipes would have intrigued me when I read them, I doubt I really would have added them to the meal plan. The flavor profiles have been far out of my comfort zone, but have all been super yummy. The clean up has been a cinch each meal, too (HUGE plus!). Biggest downside has been that we don't have much on hand for leftovers after these dinners, and I am a BIG fan of leftovers for lunch (both hubby and I have no problem eating the same thing for a few days, haha!).

Overall thoughts? I think I'll keep Hello Fresh in my back pocket for weeks that look I don't want to think about what we're eating and can't get my act together enough to grocery shop. It's definitely a splurge, but thanks to my little Beachbody income, it's one I can justify every now and then :) I love that by helping others meet health and fitness goals, I can have some "fun" money to spend!!

So...if you've stuck it out this far, here's a referral code you can use to earn $40 off your first Hello Fresh box! Can't wait to hear what you think!!


No comments:

Post a Comment