Wednesday, May 20, 2015

21 Day Fix Approved: Baked Chicken Fajitas

I have a GREAT group of ladies in the middle of their 21 Day Fix journey right now. I'm always inspired by my challengers, but something about this group and their tenacity, dedication, and positivity has me pretty overwhelmed. Add in that each of them has a list a mile long (don't we all???) of reasons to NOT be taking care of themselves ("I have a small baby at home," "I work full time," "I HATE cooking."....I could go on and on!), and I'm even more inspired by their successes. After just ten days, here are a few of the victories (scale and non-scale!!) they shared with me...

-"I didn't skip a single workout!"
-"I...realized how much water I was not drinking. I'm carrying a water bottle now."
-"I think I'm more flexible."
-"I zipped a pair of shorts I haven't worn in two years, and my waist is down a 1/2 an inch!"
-"I'm just proud of myself for not giving up...I'm only down a few pounds, but I love how Autumn reminds me it is one pound at a time."

Y'all. That's the reason I do this. It isn't about a quick fix. And even though this program is only three weeks long and usually has pretty ridiculous results (one of my challengers is down 18 lbs after two rounds of 21 Day Fix!!!), it's not about the "get fit quick" scheme. You aren't ingesting anything that isn't whole food based and good for you. There aren't weird supplements or creams. If quick results are all you are after, you need to find a different blog to read because I'm more impressed with the little victories like the ones I shared. These women have committed to making LIFE STYLE changes. Is it always easy? No. Are there days that are harder than others? Yes. But are we making small changes that over time will have a lasting effect for the health and well being of both ourselves and those we live with and love? Absolutely.

OK. Stepping down from my soap box :)

Last night I asked my gals what had been their favorite meal so far. The first vote was for this quick and easy Baked Chicken Fajita dish...that I coincidentally was making as the comment was posted to facebook, lol! I LOVE that in the time that it takes for my oven to preheat, I have the whole dish ready to go. Heat up some tortillas and slice an avocado while the fajitas are baking, and dinner is served!

Warning...your home will smell like a fiesta!


Baked Chicken Fajitas
(Serves 4)

Ingredients:
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
2 Tbsp EVOO
2 tsp chili powder (I usually opt for 1/2 chipotle chili powder and 1/2 regular...I like heat!)
2 tsp tsp cumin
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp pepper
1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes with green chiles (such as Rotel)
1 medium onion, sliced
1 small red bell pepper, cut into strips
1 small green bell pepper, cut into strips
Sliced avocado (optional)
Salsa (optional)
Corn tortillas

Preparation:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place chicken strips in a greased 13×9 baking dish.
In a small bowl combine the oil, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, dried oregano, and salt.
Drizzle the spice mixture over the chicken and stir to coat. Next add the tomatoes, peppers, and onions to the dish and stir to combine. Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are done. Top corn tortillas with chicken, vegetables, avocado, and salsa.


10 comments:

  1. Can't wait to try this! Do you know how many of each color of containers one serving is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Allie! So sorry for the delayed reply. I was just adding this meal to my next 21 day fix meal plan. I've counted it as a red (chicken), yellow (tortillas--could omit or use lettuce wraps instead!), a blue (avocado or cheese), and a green (veggies). Hope that helps!!

      Delete
  2. This looks delicious! I am doing the 21 Day Fix and am having a hard time coming up with things I like or that my family will eat. Thanks for this recipe! I love fajitas!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look amazing! My kid are going to love them :) Kathy Ramos

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alison...is it 1 corn tortilla=1 yellow, or 2 corn tortillas =1 yellow?

    ReplyDelete
  5. 2 small corn tortillas is one yellow

    ReplyDelete
  6. When you want to knock their socks off; when you want them to stand up and cheer; when nothing but the best will do because it is your wedding day; that is when you serve a spectacular wedding comfort food Learn 9 quick tips on buying your dream wedding cake!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You will not get off the ground easily without a business plan, unless you happen to have launched Baked comfort food businesses before and have all of the cash you will need to launch. For everyone else, the business plan lets managers think through all of the steps of launching and running the bakery. Reading your business plan or at least its executive summary first is the only way most investors and lenders even will be willing to talk about putting money into your business....

    ReplyDelete