Thursday, June 12, 2014

Spinach and Turkey Meatballs aka...

While little napped, I decided to throw together a new batch of meatballs for her with a bit of a twist. I have been really terrible at the "homemade" food thing as we've moved into a temporary housing situation while we wait to close on a home. A smaller freezer + boxes everywhere + school year wrapping up didn't exactly make for a solid "Mom of the Year" application.

Now that we've settled into a bit of a summer time routine, I figured it was time to cook for my girl again :) I just kind of winged this recipe while she napped. The final product was actually super tasty....just a little green :)

A little "name the meatball" challenge on Instagram came up with:
*Green Boogers
*Green Monster Meatballs and...
*Hulk's Balls

 Call 'em what you like, little girl GOBBLED these up! She tossed back 4...when most days she only had 2.5 of the other recipe. I'll mark this one as a win in the mom column!

Kid tested, mama approved :)

Spinach and Turkey Meatballs 

Ingredients:
1/2 lb ground turkey
1/2 cup frozen spinach, thawed and pureed (optional to puree--my kiddo doesn't do well with stringy cooked spinach yet!)
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1 egg
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/2 cup baby oatmeal cereal (breadcrumbs would be a fine sub; we aren't eating cereal as often, so I wanted to use up what I had left)

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix together all ingredients in a large bowl (mixture will be quite sticky). Form into balls and place on a greased, foil lined baking sheet. Bake for 18 minutes, or until cooked through.

To freeze: Cool completely. Place in ziploc bag and freeze until desired use. I don't recommend keeping baby food for more than three months in the freezer!

1 comment: