Sunday, March 1, 2015

Crock-Pot Tex-Mex Chicken and Sweet Potato Soup

You know those work days where the LAST thing you want to do is prepare a meal for your family? This is my go-to when I glance at my calendar and know that by the time the little one and I get home we will both be beat. I adore that A) this tastes delish topped with avocado B) that I usually have most of the ingredients around and C) that it makes enough that I don't have to cook dinner the next day either ;)

The recipe that inspired this can be found here, but I made a few modifications to match our family's taste preferences.

Enjoy!



Crock-Pot Tex-Mex Chicken and Sweet Potato Soup

Ingredients:
~1 lb chicken breasts (I throw these in FROZEN!)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
1 can fire roasted tomatoes
5-6 cups chicken stock
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
1 tbsp chile powder
1 tbsp cumin
1 tspn chipotle chile powder
1 tspn garlic powder
1/2 tspn onion powder
1/4 (+ 1 tbsp) cup cilantro, chopped
Avocado, diced (for topping)

Preparation:
Add all ingredients through onion powder to crock pot and cook on high for 3-4 hours, or low for 6-7 hours. After cooking, remove chicken breasts and dice or shred; return to pot. Stir in 1/4 cup chopped cilantro. Serve generously sprinkled with cilantro and topped with avocado. Yum!!

No comments:

Post a Comment