Sunday, October 19, 2014

Healthy Chicken Enchilada Stack

I have been SO proud of the gals in my current 21 day fix group--almost all of us juggle full-time jobs, many have kiddos running around (and some even have sweet little bitty babies!), and ALL have committed to taking 21 days to make significant changes for themselves.

While I'm certainly no nutritionist, I do offer to put together a weekly meal plan and grocery list for my challengers--heck, I'm eating that way too, so really I'm just sharing what's happening at our house :) One of my gals sent me a hilarious text last week when I asked her what kind of meals she'd like to see next week--"Less insalata, more enchilada!"

While the 21 Day Fix is SO super forgiving and flexible, I had never, ever imagined putting together an ENCHILADA recipe for it! I accepted the challenge whole-heartedly though...I want my gals to be successful and to NOT feel like they are sucking the fun out of their food. I did a bunch of "research" this weekend reading recipes galore, and finally settled on combining a few different ideas.

Out of sheer laziness, this turned into a "stacked" enchilada, but could totally be rolled up to make it appear more traditional. I feel obliged to say this is a teensy, weensy bit of a cheat meal--the use of a small tablespoon of butter and flour to make the sauce thick is a tad outside of Autumn Calabrese's nutrition guide, but it feels SO much more decadent than it is.

Here's the "before"!
Healthy Chicken Enchilada Stack

Ingredients:
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp flour
1 cup chicken stock
1 small can diced green chiles
1/2 cup greek yogurt
1/2 tbsp cumin
1/2 tspn garlic powder
Salt and pepper, pinch each
6 corn tortillas, halved
1 1/2 cups shredded chicken (I made a batch of crock pot salsa chicken!)
1/2 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup shredded cheese (I mixed cheddar and mont jack)

Method:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees, and spray a 9x9 baking pan with cooking spray.

Melt butter over medium heat in a small saucepan. Add flour to melted butter, and whisk for about 60 seconds (until color ahs changed slightly). Add half of the stock, and whisk till combined. Stir in remainder of stock, green chiles, and spices and cook for about 3 minutes till thickened. Remove from heat and stir in yogurt till combined.

Layer four of the tortilla pieces on the bottom of the pan. Pour 1/3 of the sauce over tortillas. Then create a layer of chicken (1/2 cup) and sprinkle with 1/3 of the black beans and 1/3 of the cheese. Repeat layers till you've created three layers.

Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes.

21 Day Fix-ers: It's a teensy stretch, but I divided the pan into four servings. I counted my serving as one yellow, one red, one green, and a blue. We enjoyed this alongside a side salad for another green container.



1 comment:

  1. Joseph perfect answer. The area of finance is very analytical and complex activity. Therefore, we must make decisions weighed. Constantly improving skills and continuously learn new things on http://www.camsloveaholics.com/.

    ReplyDelete